Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Research Assistant

The research is plugging along, and as my lovely cohort and partner in crime Irene insightfully said, "It is endless!" Very true. As of right now, we're in the process of recording classes in four different bilingual primary schools. Next week, I'm going back to beloved C.E.I.P. San Sebastian El Boalo, the elementary school where I worked as an Language TA for two years to record some of my former students as part of the project. We're also setting up interviews with students and teachers, working on a survey and beginning the tedious process of transcribing all of the classes. 

In the end, we decided to record over a hundred classroom hours and to transcribe 60 of those hours between the two of us this year. If you calculate that every 10 minutes of classroom time takes one hour to transcribe, we have our work cut out for us with about 180 hours of transcribing each. 

Good thing I have taken on a new research assistant: someone who will make these seemingly endless hours equal a whole lot better, to shoulder my workload with me and keep a smile on my face. 


I can't tell you how much better transcribing is when you have a 4 pound beagle puppy nuzzling into your neck!

No comments:

Post a Comment